Sunday, June 21, 2015

Wig Review: BlueBeard

First of all, before we jump into the review, I just want to apologize dearly for being such an inactive blogger. If you didn't know, a lot of things just happened it's been a very tiring and hectic two months. But here I am, writing once more, and I am proud to say that I have survived what might have been the most difficult months of this year.

Now, on to the review.

My most recent cosplay was Yazawa Nico from Love Live and let me tell you, this was the first time that I will ever sport full clip-on pigtails. Needless to say, I was terrified because I have heard a lot about clip-on pigtails, both good and bad.

But then, an angel from Heaven dropped onto my Facebook account in the form of a certain post in Cosplay SOS. According to the post, she bought ALL (ALL) of the Love Live character wigs from the same brand, which was BlueBeard, and reviewed each one of them in a clear and concise manner.

I was naturally drawn to the brand after tedious research of extensive reviews. I immediately came to the conclusion that I am going to get this brand for my Nico wig, and immediately asked Denzuke Emporium for the price and fees.

IT. WAS. NOT. CHEAP.

AT. ALL.

This wig costed me Php1540. It was a big leap for me to spend so much for such a short wig, and I tell you my eyes almost rolled to the floor in a sorry heap of tears. But then, for the sake of quality, stress-free wig managing, accuracy and aesthetics, I decided to give it a go.

Reference photo from BlueBeard.
The Taobao page is right here.
You can also buy the pink ribbons along with it for an additional fee.

I don't know what sort of educational value you will get from seeing the wig wrapped in the wig bag, cardboard and Ziploc, but here you go. Safe and snug, my wig arrived intact and in good condition.


Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was a slight tear in the Ziploc! From the look of it, it looks like it was caused by the cardboard frame. Nevertheless, everything was still alright.


Also, BlueBeard sent me this cute little grape candy. How thoughtful and sweet! (Literally, it was.)

Without flash
With flash
This wig has a slight shine to it, but not an overly dramatic or cheap-looking shine. It has just enough luster to add dimension to it without styling. Everything arrived in good condition, even the clip-ons.

Comparing it to the reference photo, it has a little bit of inaccuracies. They got the wig's slight shine down, but the clip-ons are thicker than the reference. The base wig was slightly thinner as well. If you watch or play Love Live SIF, Nico has a noticeable uneven cut on the hair right beside her face. The base wig has that exactly.

A cute little whale tag that I snipped right off after taking this photo.

See? The sides are slightly uneven to fit Nico's hairstyle, saving me the hassle of chopping it off. (Really, up to now, cutting my wigs give me heart attacks...)


I don't know if you curiously flip the whole wig around just to check the inside if everything is sewn well, but I do. I also spotted a little patch of skin-like material (not actual skin, it just looks like skin) that's supposed to be fake scalp. It's not very noticeable really, unless you're a bird who just happens to peck at the top of my wig. In which case, shoo.


Since this is my first clip-on wig since forever, I'm not sure if this is an actual problem. I just noticed that one of the clip-ons' inner part was slightly frayed and there was so much strands sticking out in all directions. I'm not sure if this is normal because the other one didn't have this and looked pretty swell. If you guys know the cause of this, or if you have any solutions to fix it, please let me know in the comments.

On a general note, this wig is really worth the money. The strands are smooth and soft, so much that I can just finger-comb it to perfection without the need of a wig brush or comb. The clip-ons are very manageable and easy to style.

Although, because of its smooth texture, regular hair wax doesn't do much for this wig. I tried to style the sides of the wig, just to give it a more Nico-like appearance, but it always flops down. If you plan on doing some more styling (spiking, etc.) to this kind of wig, I suggest using heavy-duty hair products.

Photo by Infinity Studios
Overall:
Quality: 5/5
Packaging: 4/5
Uniqueness: 3/5
Price: 5/5



I hope you enjoyed this review. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik